Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Freak accident or Act of God?


Freak accident or Act of God?

I went for a walk today, the usual. 
Post office, grocery store and thrift store.
Hey, It’s a small town. 
Did you hear what happened?
A freak accident claimed life of an 8 year old in Escalante.
How did that happen?
A gust of wind caught a trampoline and a little girl was critically injured. 
She was life flighted out but her injuries were so severe they removed her from life support today.
What do you say?
A senseless accident?
An act of God?
The trampoline was set in the ground, two others had already gotten off and the little girl was getting off. The trampoline was carried by the wind with the girl off the side of a hill where she sustained injuries of two broken arms and head trauma.
It brought back memories of a time when I received a call from a neighbor.
Will you speak at the funeral?
What happened?
My son was playing Russian Roulette with his friend, and lost.
Of course I will ...
It was the first funeral where I was the key speaker. I didn’t know what to do.
What can you say?
I called my grandfather in Escalante and asked him what he did when he was asked to speak at a funeral.
He spoke at over one hundred funerals and had the answer that I needed.
“Go and visit the family, ask them to tell you about the person. When you speak at the funeral just tell them what they told you.”
I followed that advice. 
The family thanked me over and over for the wonderful and helpful words.
I asked myself again, what could I say to help the friends and neighbors who knew this little girl and her family?
Take time to appreciate your own children and family.
Tell each of them how much you love them.
Let the mundane chores of life wait while you take time to push your child on a swing.
Read to your children.
Reflect on how much joy and happiness they have given to you.
Take the little gifts that they were able to show you and share them with others.
Live each moment of life as if it is your last and best.
Life is unpredictable and fragile, today may be the last you may ever share with a loved one.
Loosing a loved one, whether it is a family member, neighbor or even a pet is a difficult experience.
I pass on this little bit of wisdom:
The veil between life and death is thin.
Death parts that veil and unseen visitors will help you through this   difficult time.
Each of us has heavenly guides who are willing to comfort and help.
The anguish, sorrow and sadness is the feeling of loss that accompanies death.
I think of it as a key to unlock the heavens.
Rather than associate death with these emotions, I see them as an opportunity to commune with my loved ones who have passed out of this life and into the next. 
I talk with them, ask their advice and tell them my troubles and joys.
The doorway will always be open for comfort.
Use it often.
You are never alone, and they are never gone.
Freak accident, Act of God or an open doorway?

1 comment:

  1. Sad for the tragic deaths of both girl the boy. Terrible things happen, unbearable things. Things that we imagine all of our lives, think we know how we will hold up when it happens, but nobody knows how it feels to have your arm pulled right off your body, or your heart ripped right out of you chest cavity. We do not throw ourselves into the grave dug for our loved one, we survive. Some of actually thrive. It is our duty, to those who have put us here, including our parents living or deseased, and to our offspring, for whom we set the example. Don't follow me if I fail at my own ideals, but I'll try, I still think about my mams grave, everyone gone back to the church. Instead of slipping between the coffin and the deep hole, I slipped the plastic flowers off the casket and tossed them into the hole. Put fresh red roses on top, then watched them lower it.

    ReplyDelete