Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Carpets and outhouses

I live in a pioneer house built by my great, great, grandfather, Joseph Spencer. It was built around 1880 and was one of the first here in this area. There is much history in this old house. Many memories, not only of mine but so many others. There have been several additions added on over the years. Additions to accommodate the needs of my ancestors. The last one I think is the most important. Sometime around 1940 water was furnished to the homes here and indoor plumbing was added. Thank God for progress. Thanks to the foresight and needs of a changing society I can sit in comfort and enjoy a hot shower.
I look at all the changes and improvements that have been made in my home over the years and I can appreciate all of them. I have been in the building trade now for over 40 years. I have been able to update and improve other homes and I have enjoyed that creative part of me. I am mostly retired now, but now and again I do a project for someone. I can do most anything, but I have my favorites. Plumbing is not one of them, especially if it has to do with the sewer. Yecch.
I have looked at some of the projects that I would like to do here, some are easy and some would be a major undertaking. The adobe walls are mostly intact or hidden under layers of wall paper. I discovered that when cracks appeared in the walls or ceiling that they were often repaired with cotton cloth soaked in flour paste. Simple but effective. I have thought about stripping the walls down to the original surface but in doing so, I would remove the character of this old home. I was asked by my cousin if the hammer shaped crack was still on my ceiling in the bedroom. It is. I am hoping that the whole ceiling doesn’t fall on me one night. Then again, I do have the ancient secret family recipe for repair of an old home like mine. Cotton cloth soaked in flour paste.
I look at the carpet and marvel that it is almost as old as I am. It was installed sometime in the 50’s. It is in amazing shape considering it is so old. Kind of like me. When my grandparents had the carpet installed, they paid for the best they could afford. Wool. It has held up well and 5 generations of family have learned to love the charm that this old carpet adds. Many of the original items that have disappeared over the years. Some to this family and some to another. With each disappearing item, a little bit of the charm is lost. I am in the process of recovering some of the original pieces. My mother has me on her “list” to inherit some furniture that was built by my great, great, grandfather. I just received  some original photos that belonged to some of my ancestors. I plan to post these on a family site. Why is it that ownership of original family history is so important to some? Most often they end up in drawers forgotten. I say share the family photos and the family secrets. This is the real wisdom of the departed. Lets learn from the mistakes as well as the accomplishments of those who came before us.
I have been grateful to be in my old home. It is comfortable, like a well worn pair of shoes. It is very forgiving and needs little care. Still some changes are good, like the indoor plumbing. I don’t miss that old outhouse, I did use it when the modern one in the house was busy, but it is now gone. I can still visit it if I want. It is now in my neighbors orchard. They got half of the property when my grandparents died. My Aunt and Uncle have been good neighbors and we share and help one another. The fence, well that is still a tender subject. We talk almost every day and laugh and share tools.
My old wool carpet? It stays for now. Many, many memories in that old carpet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment