Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Damn, damn, damn, that's so loud it hurts

Damn, Damn, DAMN, that’s so loud it hurts

I celebrated the 24th of July celebration in Escalante Utah this year. This holiday celebrates the day when the Mormon pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley for the first time in 1847.
My pioneer home is one of the first in the valley and the annual family reunion this year was attended by 78 family members. 
Each year we all dread the early morning blasts that accompany the Saturday events. The local volunteer firefighters valiantly volunteer to violently awake the community starting at 5:15. They had two trucks this year stopping at various points in town to set off the mortar blasts. Each blast literally shakes the town. It isn’t enough to set one or two but dozens are exploded, each one timed to almost let you get back to sleep, then boom they set off more.
My conversations with other locals has yielded the same results. They all hate this foolish tradition.
This tradition has gone on for some years and I representing 78 relatives say, enough is enough. Lets stop a tradition that not only forces local residents to take their livestock out of town, but causes undue stress, anxiety, and loss of sleep to taxpayers and tourists alike. 
I would hate to see the effects this has on any veterans who have served in active duty, it would certainly trigger their PTSD into high alert.
How about ONE blast at a reasonable time that lets the town know that breakfast is ready at the town park?
I stopped at city hall today to file a formal complaint.
My newly acquired hearing aids have brought a new awareness to me. Loud Sounds permanently damage hearing. 
I attended the Saturday parade which travels down main street, turns around and makes a second showing for all to enjoy.
All was well until the fire truck and emergency vehicles turned on their sirens. The ear damaging volume caused people to cover their ears with their hands.
I have an APP on my phone that measures volume in decibels. The volume of the sirens maxed out the DB meter. It was so loud it hurt my ears. I wasn’t even wearing my hearing aids.
Sirens are designed to heard several blocks away with car windows rolled up to warn us of danger.
These sirens were full volume and less than 25 feet away from children and adults wearing no hearing protection.
This thoughtless act constitutes negligence on the part of the emergency vehicles, their drivers and the city of Escalante.
The level of volume demonstrated by the sirens was 130 decibels, far above the level of permanent hearing damage.
I went to the fire station to state my concerns after the parade, I was met with less than a friendly chief. He referred me to the mayor, his boss.
I have been unable to meet with the mayor as yet although I did find his office manager flippant with her remarks when I voiced my concern for the children who attended the parade. 
I have permanent hearing loss caused by my own neglect to wear hearing protection in high volume venues. 
It would be neglect on my part if I didn’t make you aware of a potentially damaging activity sponsored and supported by the city of Escalante.
How about hearing protection for everyone attending?
Better yet, how about no sirens and no bombs bursting in air!

No comments:

Post a Comment