Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Velvet ant


Velvet ant

Today I saw a velvet ant. It was pointed out to me by a friend and neighbor who stopped by to say hello. She cautioned her son to be careful because they would sting if bothered and said that they are solitary creatures.
I thought about what she said, I hadn’t really noticed them before today. I wondered if I had become that velvet ant in my life style and mannerisms.
Wikipedia describes them as: “The Mutillidae are a family of more than 3,000 species of wasps (despite the names) whose wingless females resemble large, hairy ants. Their common name velvet ant refers to their dense pile of hair which most often is bright scarlet or orange, but may also be black, white, silver, or gold. Their bright colors serve as aposematic signals. They are known for their extremely painful stings, hence the common name cow killer or cow ant. Unlike a real ant, they do not have drones, workers, and queens. However, velvet ants do exhibit haplodiploid sex determination similar to other members of Vespoidea.”
I did a little research and found that wasp’s belong to the same group as bees and ants. They live in differing societies. Some are social and some are solitary species. The wasp paralyses their prey so that the grubs can feed on the prey until they are fully grown.
“There is tremendous symbolism to the wasp and all of its activities. It can teach us the lesson of fulfilling our role and responsibilities and help us construct and nurture our dreams. The six sided cell is a geometric shape associated with the heart. The grubs are the things of the heart that must be nurtured and hatched in solidness. Dreams without practical preparations are more likely to fail and die. Dreams motivate us, but their fulfillment is based upon work. Wasps have a cycle of power ranging from spring to fall. Late summer it is stronger. Wasps have a tendency to become more aggressive in the late summer and early fall. This cycle is usually at play for those to whom the wasp is a messenger.”  Animal-Wise by Ted Andrews.
When animals, birds, or insects show up in my life I look for clues to help my life flow more in harmony with nature and my own natural flow of energy.
Am I feeling paralyzed in the pursuit of my goals?
Am I building a strong foundation?
Am I working for myself or the group?
Am I fulfilling my life’s work?
Are those around me doing their part?
Am I pursuing my dreams in a practical manner?
Am I too aggressive in my pursuits?
I can learn many things from todays messenger. I am grateful for a wise neighbor who noticed this teacher when I did not.
I see many things that I will ponder in the next days to see if my life is in harmony with my spiritual self. I will pay attention to small details and listen more intently to what is being said and done. I will make sure my social interaction is balanced and I will review my dreams and goals in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment