Sunday, May 15, 2016

Unfriended

Unfriended

I was unfriended a few days ago, not in the usual sense of Facebook. This was a face to face unfriend. It was uncomfortable and disappointing.
I met this person a few years back in my hometown. We had an instant connection and over the next few years we shared a common ideas of making the world a better place.
Time and distance, miscommunication and unresolved differences made the outcome of un-friending a natural course of our relationship.
I have become an outspoken crusader of toxic materials that are daily added to our air, water, food, news, medicine, and sense of living.
That course of living has cost me more than one friend. 
Many are so polarized in their way of thinking that they are unwilling and unable to see any other kind of perspective than what they can see from their “box.”
The chemicals that have been toxifying our minds and bodies have shut down our ability to “see.”
In the conversation that developed I hit on many points of contention.
My contention was that I had done the research, studying the web for information that would help me to understand better.
My “un-friend” had not done the research. The information shared was one of bias, discrimination, and lack of charity. Because a majority of others who hovered around my “un-friend” agreed, they were right and I was wrong.
A line from the movie Matrix fits this story well …
‘You have to understand. Most people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured and so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it.’
It is easy to unfriend someone on Facebook, you simply click, and they are gone from your life.
It is another thing to unfriend someone in real life or have someone unfriend you. It is uncomfortable, challenging, and downright hard.
But it is something that everyone of us has to do from time to time to hang on to sense of who we are.
It is always best to divest ourselves of these toxic people even if they are the majority and we are the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment