Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mad dogs


Mad Dogs
I had to shoot your dog yesterday.
Were he mad?
He wern’t too darned pleased!
This was a Bert and I joke I heard years ago in Maine.
Today I wasn’t pleased to have to shoot a dog.
I have chickens. I have a fenced yard and do my best to keep them safe. I heard a commotion this morning and went out side to find one of my chickens being attacked by a dog. I keep a shotgun handy just in case of such attacks and was forced to shoot the dog.
Were he mad?
No.
He was just being a dog and doing what he had been trained to do.
Hunt birds. 
The problem is that he was hunting my birds, my pets.
I keep chickens to give me organic eggs. They keep me company and also eat the bugs around the yard. I always check to see that all are safe and count each one, but today one little banty chicken is blind in one eye and lying under a bush. She is being comforted by the rest of the flock who are staying close to her. Her sister banty is grooming and standing over her. I don’t know whether or not she will survive. I will keep a close eye on her.
There is a problem when a pet owner chooses to ignore their responsibility as a caretaker of that animal.
I don’t blame the dog, it is the owner who needs to be taught how to care for a pet. 
I watch almost daily as my friends post articles on animal abuse and neglect. It is a sad sight and is hard to look at the thoughtless irresponsibility of humans all across the globe. I can only imagine what kind of human beings could be so careless as to abuse and kill their pets.
But that is exactly what this thoughtless owner did to his own dog.
Today that dog is in dog heaven and that owner is without a friend.
Last year another dog took two of my chickens, I was able to find the owner and warn him. To his credit, that dog has been kept confined in his own yard.
I haven’t owned a gun in many years but last year I made the choice to get a shotgun for the protection of my pets.
I am not happy at having to destroy someones pet but when they choose to disregard animal instincts and allow them to roam free, I protect my livestock.
I put a note on the post office bulletin board to let the owner know about the dog. I hope he gets the message and is more responsible in the future. 
Will he be mad?
Probably.
Will it make a difference?
I pray so ...

No comments:

Post a Comment