Monday, November 14, 2011

Coming Out

Over the years, this phrase has come to represent many things to many people. 
I have been in hiding for most of my life. I have kept my secrets and lived under the radar. My public life has consisted of work, family, and for a time, religion. I accepted responsibilities from these various assignments in life and found only limited joy. I tried not to offend those who I associated with but found a part of me that was dissatisfied with life. I allowed that limitation to affect my expression of life. My assignments were less than what I was really capable of doing. 
This past year has been a time of introspection and growth. My wife of 17 years died a year ago of cancer. She has been the wind in my sails. When that wind ceased to blow, I was left on a calm and waveless ocean. I drifted for many weeks and months, often spending my time bailing out the ocean of tears that fell. I finally drifted onto an island where I was able to find a part of me that had been lost for a long time. I lived a life of Robinson Crusoe on my island and I began look for a way to survive. I took what I had in my boat and put them together with what I found on my island.
I am now ready to set sail again. The gentle winds that now fills my sail come from the storms of life that taught me how to navigate the harbors and reefs, that taught me not only survive but to thrive. I found my self on that island. My real hidden self. I am coming out now from hiding. I am filled with the wonder of life again and thrill at the beauty of nature and the variety of life all around. I honor the variety of the human soul and look to find the wisdom of those teachings.
I have found an old friend on that island, my friend Friday...
Friday is my inner being, my still small voice. He has been with me from the beginning, mostly in the background of my life. He is the one who is helping me to share my thoughts and inner feelings of life now. I draw the inspiration and the depth of understanding that he has to offer and it is comforting to know him once again.
You may not always see Friday in my life, I sometimes revert to Monday. Monday is the part of me that is still struggling with life, still trying to solve problems and find peace and harmony within. Monday doesn’t come around very often, but he is still there to remind me of what could be ...
I will be sharing my Friday’s with you, and my Monday’s. These, are who I am. I will share my failures and my successes with you and ask you to be a gentle breeze, for life is sometimes difficult. We will join together, and navigate the waters of life...

No comments:

Post a Comment