Monday, November 14, 2011

Sun-dogs

Most days you will find me outside in nature, especially when the sun is shining and skies are blue. Here in Southern Utah the skies are a vivid deep blue that is unique to this area. I am partial to my home here. It is the home of my ancestors.
Today the sun is bright and warm. I am having breakfast with my chickens. I have a place where the winds are blocked and I can work on my tan regardless of the season. The clouds are floating lazily across the sky filled with sun-dogs. Sun-dogs are rainbows in the clouds, reflections of the sunshine through moisture in the atmosphere.
My attention is often drawn to the skies these days, it wasn’t always so, I have been so busy with all the details of life that some may have thought differntly.
My gaze was to the sky 40 years ago. I was coming home from a date, it was late and not many were up. The mountain's were silhouettes against the backdrop of the night sky. That is where I saw them, dancing.
I lived in Provo, Utah 40 years ago, a mormon community that is highlighted by Brigham Young University. The enrollment was much smaller then, and traffic was manageable. I liked it when summer came, the students would go back home and traffic was even lighter. Sometimes I would visit the college and wander around the campus. The students looked so old to me. I would ride the elevator to the top of 6 floors for a thrill and look around the Wilkinson Room. That is where dances and parties happened.
This particular night I was standing in front of my own house. The night sky was beautiful to gaze upon. That is when I noticed them. Lights. Dozens of Lights, all over the night sky. Some were moving slow, while others were darting quickly back and forth. I stood and watched for a long time. I wondered about those lights that night, but after a few months, I forgot. They have been lost to my memory for many years.
When my wife Pearlene left SnowFlake, Arizona to come and marry me, her eyes were on the skies. She was traveling with friends who were visiting Utah. One of the cars had broken down on the Navajo Reservation. They all stopped while repairs were made. While they all waited, my wife to be, walked down off the road and was admiring the rocks. She saw a huge eagle in the sky. It circled her, first 3 times to the right,  then 3 times to the left. She watched with her eyes to the sky for a long time that day. When she finally came back to the road, the others asked her what she was watching? She told them it was a huge eagle and asked if they had seen it too. They replied that they had seen her looking and looked in that same direction, but had seen nothing.
Today as I ate breakfast with the chickens, I was reflecting on Sun-dogs, eagles, and lights in the sky. I am grateful for the moments when take the time to look around me and notice the subtle things that life offers. I wonder how many other things I have missed in my life because I was caught up in the details of life.
Someone once said a wise thing that has helped me. “Forget the details and work on the Big Picture.”
I try to remember that wisdom, to keep my eyes to the skies and work on that Big picture...
As a child I wished upon a star of Light and now it is up to me to find my way there.
I am careful to watch each day, never knowing if I may be floating on clouds of sun-dogs, Riding on wings of Eagles, or steering my vehicle of Light, always with my eyes to the skies.
If you should see me sunning with my chickens, stop and visit, I would like to hear your dreams and visions, together we will circle the skies ...

No comments:

Post a Comment