Sunday, December 11, 2011

When she died


When Pearlene died of breast cancer, my world turned upside down. I wondered at the reasons that this happened. Pearlene was one who always looked after her health. Coming from a family with a cancer history she was well aware of the risks. We looked into all the different preventive measures to lower those risks. She denied herself the normal pleasures of eating sweets and ate foods to alkalize her system. We talked about the medical route and together decided that we would never go through the chemo and radiation that was available. Her cancer started in Hawaii and less than a year later she was gone. I asked her several times during that process if she wanted to go the medical route. Her answer was always, No.
I wondered why someone who has always taken care of herself and her heath had to die this way. I don’t know the answers.
I do believe that her passion and desire to treat herself with home remedies and diet helped to make her quality of life better.
We both believed in the positive power of prayer and positive thought. We were able to live life fully and do more in 17 years than most do in a lifetime. 
I know that we are led to treatments that will not only help us physically but also spiritually and emotionally. I appreciate your comments and sharing. I believe that it is through the combined knowledge and strength of each other that we can find the answers that we each need.
Yesterday as I was walking I had the profound realization that part of the reason that Pearlene died was for me. She knew that I would grow in ways that would have been impossible, if she were to have remained. The tears fell as I realized the depth of her gift. Thankfully, only the cows and horses witnessed my display of emotion. 
I had no idea what life had to offer me when I was in High School. I have not been disappointed with my graduate courses in life. Everything is a little bit sweeter, the colors more vivid, the music now reaches the depths of my soul. 
I couldn’t see that a year ago or even a month ago. It was only yesterday that I had that knowing. I can only hope and dream of what tomorrow will bring. My appreciation of our gift of life and the heartfelt sharing of friends like you has been greatly increased this day. Thank you, from my heart to yours ...

No comments:

Post a Comment