Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Creating Sacred Space ...


Returning home from picking up my rough sawn lumber, I sat and pondered my life and how I would use this lumber to enhance my outdoor space. I have a creative part of me that wants to make things around me better. Some times when sleep fails me at night, I ponder projects that I would like to do. I guess it is this creative part of me that makes life more interesting for me. When I come up against something that I don’t understand, I find that the answers come to me in a flash of inspiration from depths that I am only now beginning to understand. I wanted to create a place of peace and privacy, without shutting out the abundance of life around me. The energy of the trees has blessed my life in many ways and for that reason I chose locally cut pine from a family owned saw mill here in Southern Utah. I am aware that my neighbors and family are watching my changes here in this pioneer home and they often comment on my improvements. Mostly in a positive response. I wanted to create a private space that would give me a place to relax and enjoy the sunshine without offending my neighbors. I feel closest to nature when I am able to immerse myself fully in the experience. I find that living in a community makes this more difficult. Creating a sacred space in my yard meant that I needed to build a fence to allow that experience. The Sun is a very healing part of life for me and I enjoy the warmth and radiance of the sun as I bathe in myself in that life giving energy and allow those rays to soak into my skin, into my soul. I have spent these past years tearing down fences that I have built in my life ... fences to protect me from the harsh side of humanity. As my inner soul has awakened me to trusting again, I have slowly removed the barriers and the barbed wire caging me inside my own prison. I have been able to breathe in the clean air and the invigorating scent of life again. With this in mind I set out to create a sacred space in my outer world, not to shut out the world, but buffering the amount I would allow to enter into my world. This time I would build a gate to allow life to enter, at the same time keep out that part of life that was offense to me ... placing the height of the fence high enough allow me to walk freely in peace but not so high as to keep out the beauty around me. Sometimes living in the world I find that it is a necessary protection for me to live within my sacred enclosures, allowing me to leave and enter when necessary. One day there will be a time when all will be sacred space and no longer will there be a need for fences. Until that time I will buffer the harsher parts of life and protect me from those who do not understand my view of life ...  The blessing of the pine tree is “Balance and creativity.”  From my sacred space to yours ... Blessings and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment