Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Jesus rides a Harley


Just a few weeks after I married Pearlene in 1994, I happened to be in a video store looking for a movie to rent. I was in the action movies looking for something to watch and she was in the romance section looking for old classics. I didn’t pay close attention when the bikers came in the store, they were browsing through the selections of movies. They were wearing leather and looked a bit intimidating.
My marriage to Pearlene was magical. We connected on every level. She was living life from her heart and was in tune with all of life.
There was an earlier time in my life when I was not in tune with life. It was 1974. I was 21, single and riding my motorcycle down west center in Provo Utah. My brother and friend had gone to the Yamaha showroom with me a few days earlier to look at the new models. They were there to help me choose a motorcycle.  All three of us ended up buying motorcycles.  We were riding those bright yellow motorcycles toward the lake on this day. I was riding without a helmet and probably speeding. I heard the siren from behind me, I looked back and saw a Provo cop with his lights on. He pulled over my friend and motioned for him to stay on the side of the road. He next came after my brother who was behind me, I saw my brother pull off the road and then he sped towards me. From half a mile back, I watched my friend turn around and head towards the city. The cop saw it too and he turned around and took off after him. My brother and I headed towards the lake, we made our way back through town and were near the state mental hospital when I heard the siren again, it was the same cop. Our bright yellow motorcycles stood out on the road and he was still mad from loosing us earlier near the lake. It cost me a ticket and a traffic safety course. 
When Pearlene came to the counter with her movie, she waited for me to bring my choice, I thought she looked different. We compared movies and decided on her choice instead of mine. We sat in the truck for a minute in silence. I asked her why she was so quiet. She said, did you see the motorcycle riders? I said that I had. She said, did you see the guy with long hair? I told her no, I had been busy looking at the movies. She told me when she first saw them, she began to judge them because of their long hair and clothing. One man with piercing eyes turned and looked at her. In those few seconds that she looked into his eyes she felt a spiritual lightening within her. Her spirit recognized his spirit. It was the same long hair, the same piercing eyes ... but this time his clothing was different. 
We sat in silence for several minutes as the impact of that event sunk in. Our eyes welled up with tears and we held hands. A miracle happened ...
There are many who walk among us, who pass by and give us a smile or pause to look into our souls. We each have guardians, angels, and guides who help us every day. We don’t notice them most of the time. We take it for granted when an accident is avoided because we missed the light, or the driver just ahead gets hit in the intersection ... Our little voice reminds us that we left something unsaid to a loved one, allowing us to pause and give them a smile or a hug. We are watched over and protected each day as we drive to work or travel dangerous paths.
My motorcycle days didn’t last very long, my bike was always in the shop being repaired. It was a yellow lemon. My inner voice tried to tell me that night in the Yamaha showroom to walk out. I silenced that little voice and bought the bike anyway.  I paid for it twice with all the repairs. In the year I had it, it was in the motorcycle repair shop 6 months. I learned a lesson about listening to that little voice. It cost me four thousand dollars but it was worth it. 
That night in Fairview, Utah, I saw Jesus ride a Harley. I am careful now to not judge another because of the hair or the clothing. I listen to that little voice, I pay attention to my feelings and when someone smiles at me or looks into my eyes, I wonder ... I am still hoping to see that Harley again, I would like another chance to look into those piercing eyes and recognize my brother ...

2 comments:

  1. Neat story Gary.
    Call me crazy but the same thing happened to me when I saw a "bum" on a SLC highway exit many years ago.
    He had blue piercing eyes and when I looked into them for that brief second, my spirit jumped too and recognized him...it was the weirdest experience ever, but I will NOT forget that stare...those piercing blue majestic loving eyes among his dirty unkempt face as though I had just seen a KING in rags...as though it was straight out of a Hollywood movie! So I know exactly what you are talking about.
    Also, funny story about the motorcycle since I grew up in Provo and my brothers all had motorcycles and fun stories to tell...lol.
    Thanks
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa for your addition to my story, blessings to you

      Delete