Saturday, December 10, 2011

Naps in the sun



Today, I took a walk to check on my Truck. It was only a couple of blocks to the garage and the sun was shining. I forgot to get my rental video from the house so I went back and picked it up. It was a little cool so I put on a jacket. It felt good to have that little bit of extra protection against the wind. I thought I would go by and pick up my mail, after all it was just one more block and after 12 and there would be the same collection of neighbors getting their mail too. It is kind of like cocktail hour at my post office. It is the place to be, to catch up on the latest gossip, to find out where the big fish was caught. I found the fishing is good right now at Wide Hollow. My neighbor caught a 3 pounder. I wonder where my fishing box is? The mail man told me he just signed the papers on his new house. He has been sweating all the details of closing and now it is done. A month ago his landlord told him the rent would double and he had been upset with the situation. I collected the local news and walked to the garage and got the news on my truck.  It was good news, the hood was up and there were parts everywhere. I was told how the parts were ordered and it would soon be fixed.  I was hungry at that moment and subway was right in front of me. I got the Philly steak with pepper jack cheese on a toasted bun, yum. I went half a block to drop off the video. The girls were there busy stocking the shelves with the order that came in today. Tuesdays and Fridays. Those are the days to remember if you want to get while it’s fresh. If you come in the day after, you might not find what you want. I visited with the girls who were there. Discussed the plot on the movie I rented, Capt. America. Found out what I would be getting next Monday, that’s the day when you can rent a movie for a buck.  A pretty good price, I thought. I finished my walk of 3 blocks and made my way home. The sun was shining and I sat on the lawn chair, I closed my eyes for a minute. I thought it was a minute. Turned out to be an hour. Sure felt good, that nap in the sun. I look at my life now and the way it used to be. A lot of things have changed. I am different, I look at life in a different way now. I like the simple things, a walk, catching up with the local news at the post office. I notice the fall colors all around and the cool breeze blowing. What a life! What a wonderful life I have. I can see the busy lives that others have, all the work they do to buy the nice things they hang on their wall and park in their garage. They have new cars and 4 wheelers and travel trailers and fishing boats and jet skis. Oh, it would be fun to do those things, but I like the way I live. The simple life. “Be kind and treat people the way I want to be treated,” that’s my motto. Naps in the sun. I wonder if having all those things to park and pull and play and ride are worth giving up my naps in the sun? Nah, yawn ...........zzz

No comments:

Post a Comment