Saturday, December 10, 2011

Old Faithful


     Pecking order’s are all around us. From playground bully’s to our workplace to our homes. You can always tell who is at the top and who is on the bottom. I have names for my chickens based on their personalities. 
There is Bossy, she is the one who always gets her food first. If one of the others get in her way, she peck’s them on the head or pulls a feather out.
There is Timid, she is the one who misses out on the special treats or who has to wait until all the others are finished. 
There is Fussy, she is always making a fuss over nothing, she just likes to cause a commotion.
There is Old faithful, she knows her job and most days leaves me an egg.
There is Lazy, she likes to wander the yard, seldom lays an egg, and likes to stand on the top of the chicken house and watch the others.
Last there are my twins. Bantams, who are so sweet and gentle, they bounce on their little legs with joy when I call them for a treat.
Together they form a family, most days they are able to get along and share the food and house in peace. When I bring out some bread to give them, they all come running and flapping as fast as they can. 
I had 2 roosters, but finally gave them back to Heather. They crowed all day long, chased the ladies and strutted around the yard trying to get everyone’s attention.
The pecking order has changed several times in the year I have had them here. I laugh at the silly things they do because they remind me of people that I have met over the years. I wonder who I am in the barnyard, who is watching me and laughing. It doesn’t matter, I often laugh at myself and the silly things that I do. If you should see me becoming Bossy, Timid, Fussy or Lazy, let me know. I would rather be like Old Faithful...

No comments:

Post a Comment