Saturday, December 10, 2011

Rest of the Story


The rest of the story ...
Many of us live and base our lives on the days headlines. We go to our favorite news source, watch or listen, and then go about our day interacting with family, friends or coworkers. We base much of our knowledge on headlines without knowing the whole story. We only see a partial view of what is around our world. We take for granted that the information that we are getting is truthful and balanced. 
Our lives are influenced by clips of events ... carefully chosen to influence the way we think and act. All the major news sources are owned by a very few corporations. It is this elite group that decides what they want us to know.
I have mostly stopped watching the local news. Sometimes it is just for the weather, and then it is with caution, knowing that the weather has a mind of her own. My best forecaster is myself, getting up in the morning and looking out the window. I have personalized google news to show me the kind of news that interests me. It helps but is still so influenced by those corporations.
I have come to the conclusion that I need to go to the source and see for myself. Relying on my own wisdom and choosing what is most important to me. 
20 years ago, I decided to look into the native American teachings and learn about some of their ways. Their teachings are so wise. I learned that the Iroquois confederacy was the pattern used for making our own US constitution. I was intrigued. I learned that there was a group of leaders chosen to lead the people’s of this great nation, and when there were disputes among them, the chief's would gather and give council. One of these leaders was the peace chief. His job was to resolve problems. He would go to those people who were unable to solve their own problems and listen for himself and then give council that would help resolve the conflict.
I lived in the small community of Manti for a few years and met some wonderful people who were searching for ways to make the world a better place. We met together and shared experiences and had some great gatherings. These people became my friends and I shared many hours with them, listening and learning. There arose a conflict between two opposing beliefs. One side said that, “This is the only way, and any who don’t agree should leave.” The other side said, “Freedom to choose for ourselves was more important.” Of course, there is more to the story ... but that is another story....
I was asked to mediate between these two opposing sides and make my recommendation.  I was acting as Peace Chief. I went to each person and listened as they explained their feelings. Those on both sides were passionate in their convictions that they were right. 
I have reflected on those years spent in Manti. Learning years. A time to let go of the past, trusting in my own inner feelings. 
I was asked to appear before another council, this time to account for my own life choices. This council of 15 told me I was dangerous to their way of life and revoked my membership. 
Manti was a doorway to a new life, one that has brought me great joy. I learned to trust in my own self, my own sources. I am careful now to get my information from the original source. I have cut out the middle man, the one who seems to confuse the real story. It is better for me that way. Sometimes, I even have to climb a mountain top to see what I am seeking, to me it is worth the effort ... to see the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment